The Conseil des Arts de Montréal (the CAM) identifies, accompanies, supports and recognizes excellence in professional artistic creation, production and dissemination, and contributes to the funding and promotion of more than 500 artistic companies in Montreal through numerous programs.
Among them : the programme Tournée, which supports more than 600 performances and enriches the cultural life of citizens in the boroughs and municipalities. It aims to promote inclusion and reflect the social structure of Montreal, both through the diversification of target audiences and through the cultural and artistic diversity it supports.
As part of a larger strategic evaluation effort, we worked in collaboration with Anne Laure Mathieu, specialized in design thinking, to conduct an analysis of available and open data to assess the diversity of artists, presenters and audiences that CAM reaches through the scope of its programs, particularly the programme tournée.
This analysis aims to :
- Draw a map regarding the distribution of CAM, and identify cultural deserts and cases of cultural exclusion in Montreal.
- Create a portrait of successful applicants and their evolution – all programs and programme tournée included.
- Create a portrait of presenters.
This data analysis mandate included the following data valuation services:
- Identification of business purpose
- Identification of relevant internal and external data (open data) including nearly 60 years of application and grant data history
- Creation of relevant indicators:
- Cultural activity index: assesses cultural activity (primarily in the performing arts) in relation to population density in neighborhoods
- Cultural Accessibility Index: assesses cultural activity in relation to the diversity of the population in the neighborhoods (in terms of immigration and income levels).
- Creation of data visualizations and analysis
- Segmentation of presenters and applicants by first-time applicants, disciplines, etc.